O’Hare and Midway International Airports are ready to reconnect the world to Chicago and Chicago to the world! Whether you are traveling for leisure or business the Chicago Department of Aviation's (CDA) highest priority is the safety and security for the traveling public and our airport community. The CDA has taken every precaution to keep our travelers and those individuals that work at our airports safe. We continue to be in close contact with federal and public health partners at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) and strictly adhere to their recommendations. We continue to support normal airport operations, while at the same time supporting CDPH's mandates to continue to reduce the impact of COVID-19 in Chicago.
- Check with your airline. Understand your carrier’s rules for mask usage. Airlines continue to implement new procedures to enhance safety for passengers and employees. For information about your flight and the airline’s traveler expectations, please contact your airline directly. In addition to this, flight schedules and service offered may have changed since you booked your reservation.
- Arrive early. We recommend allowing extra time for your journey as travel begins to resume across the country. We are working with our aviation partners to make your travel experience as efficient, safe and as healthy as possible. Thank you for your patience.
- Bring and wear a mask or face covering. All travelers and guests over the age of two entering O’Hare and Midway Airports are required to wear a face covering within the terminals at both airports. This includes all airport employees, airline staff and passengers. For more information on the guidance of using a face covering, click here. Concessions at both airports will have a limited supply of PPE. We also recommend looking up rules for masks at your departure or arrival airport.
- Ensure distance between you and others. When possible, travelers should maintain 6 feet or 2 meters distance between individuals.
- Check TSA wait times. TSA is monitoring daily passenger volumes and Security Checkpoint wait times are currently shorter than usual. Typical Security Checkpoint wait times including TSA PreCheck can be viewed here for O'Hare and here for Midway.
- Know what screening changes have been made by TSA. The TSA is allowing one liquid hand sanitizer container up to 12 ounces per passenger in carry-on bags until further notice. Passengers can expect that these containers, larger than the standard allowance of 3.4 ounces of liquids permitted through a checkpoint, will need to be screened separately, which will add time to the checkpoint screening experience. All other liquids, gels and aerosols brought to a checkpoint continue to be allowed at the limit of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters carried in a one quart-size bag.
- Review international arrival screening procedures. Please visit the US Department of Homeland Security website for more information
Concessions & Amenities
- Find out which concessions are open. Plan ahead for dietary and concession needs. Food, beverages and essentials are available on a limited basis at both airports. Concession operations are opening in a strategic manner, providing a limited variety of concession options in a safe environment. Plan ahead on your needs by checking the current list of open concessions at O’Hare and Midway.
- Verify the amenities that are available for your comfort.
- Yoga Rooms are currently closed
- Fly With Butch O’Hare Play Area is currently closed
- Airline lounge hours and operations may vary, to confirm your carrier’s lounge information, click here.
Getting To and From the Airport
- Plan for passenger pick-ups and drop-offs. Passenger pick-ups and drop offs are allowed at all terminals. Taxis and Ride Shares are also available at O'Hare and Midway airports but may have limited hours or access.
- Know where to park. Short- and long-term parking options are available at O'Hare and Midway. If you have parked at O'Hare or Midway and are unable to leave your current location because of COVID19 restrictions, please contact our parking operator to discuss your travel situation. Standard Parking: (773) 686-7530 / 24/7 assistance.
- Travel between terminals and parking. Buses are available between all terminals (O'Hare only), long term lots and rental car facilities. Capacity on airport shuttle busses is limited 15 or less individuals.
- Choose a rental car. Rental Car Facility at Midway is open for your rental car needs.
- Review public health guidance. Travelers are encouraged to refer to the CDC's definition of essential travel (as opposed to travel for tourism or recreational in nature), and with their airline for the most up-to-date flights.
Guest Blogger: https://www.flychicago.com/business/media/coronavirus/Pages/default.aspx